Saturday, December 5, 2009

I want to lose weight but I have a severe lack of self-discipline. Any advice?

I used to be much thinner while I was in college because I was on a very large campus and did a lot of walking. There were also a lot of gyms around with cute guys to watch while I did an hour on the boring elliptical machine. I graduated 3 years ago and have gained A LOT of weight since then. I'm a music teacher and it stresses me out so much. I have all of these performances to put on and all this pressure from parents for their teenagers to be perfect. I eat a lot of crap because I'm so stressed, and I'm so exhausted at the end of the day I'd rather veg than go and do anything. I've become rather depressed because I don't really have any friends in this new city where I work even though I've been here for 3 years. I live by myself and therefore hate cooking for just me. I'm also not a very good cook. I can see what I'm doing to myself and can see where I'm going to end up. I want to change before it's too late, but I can't seem to just do it. I'm really mad at myself.



I want to lose weight but I have a severe lack of self-discipline. Any advice?star theater



I know it is very hard. I used to not have any self-discipline as well. When i was in high school, i was thin...i loved my body...after i had my first baby i gained a lot of weight...however not enough for me to hate the way i looked. Hence, i couldn't get myself to try and eat healthy because I still like what i see.



However, after my second baby, i saw a photo of myself and that's when i didnt recognise me. So, i put a photo of myself back in high school and a photo of my fat self on the fridge, and that was enough for me to stop eating like crap.



Hope that will work for you.



I want to lose weight but I have a severe lack of self-discipline. Any advice?extension opera theater



first start with relaxing more. weight gain is triggered mostly by stress. then get rid of ALL your food. by lowfat/skim milk. fresh fruits that you like, buy whole grain everything...bagels, bread, cereals, eats LOTS of fiber...try to at least take in 20-25 grams of fiber a day (easy ways to do this on bottom) and then start just taking short walks while listening to music. exersizing will also decrease stress and help you. change the way you eat. if you eat breakfast, don't eat breakfast for a while (if this doesn't work...stop) if you don't eat breakfast eat breakfast. get lots of protein. with eggs they have fat but what i do, because the yolks are so nutritious, in a 2-3 egg omelette i only have one yolk and the other are just the whites. finally junk food can be replaced w/ more nutritional food. Low-fat everything is good, just DON'T DRINK DIET ANYTHING....there were recent studies that this actually makes you gain weight and be more HUNGRY and TIRED. here is some good foods...



-peanut butter



-Peaches



-POPCORN!!! (lowfat or lightly buttered)



-all fruits



-good snack food is Peanut butter and Honey (so delicious, try it!)



-whole grain crackers with peanut butter on top, with a side of APPLES (yummmm)



-smoothies!



-Fiber one or anything you can mix w/ any drink to make it have more fiber.



HOPE THESE HELP!!!!!!!!



-Fiber is your friend, Fat is your enemy



p.s. i lost 5 lbs in two wk by just changing the way i ate and what i ate, no exercise at all. then once i began exercise, i was starting to look good.



p.p.s lowfat/fat free tastes just as good as the regular
Self-discipline is not the primary cause of your weight gain. It is more on your self-esteem and your emotional state. I would concentrate first on your stressors and try to alleviate them by either modifying your schedules or assessing your daily activity so that you can budget your time also to regulate how you eat. If you eat on time usually your blood sugar will not have erratic changes so you won't feel much of the emotional "highs" and "lows" during the day. Just by knowing how much energy you spend on each activity, you can easily see where you can increase your food intake and of course... see where you can cut down.



First secret... Avoid getting DEPRESSED!!! you know you eat more when you're sad...Since you're a musician... Lets have more of the E,C,G based music to keep you happy :)



Listening to emo is not beneficial.. Listening to emo music while running is...You control music... not the other way around...



Second secret...water is your FRIEND and ENEMY...water is your friend when you don't eat salty foods... water becomes when you pump your intake with sodium rich foods. 70% of your body is water... when you can control your water intake and output...You control 70% of your life!!!



Last Secret...Frequency is better than Volume...I love to say that since it's punnetically inclined to music... but let's ridirect ourselves to food intake... Eat more often...but in small portions...and I didn't say eat MORE...just more often...that's curbing out your sugars through the whole day...



In summation of my advice here are the main points.



1. Be happy what ever the situation is. At least be optimistic.



2. Never be afraid to look in the mirror. Accepting what the present can lead to a better future. Take pictures while you are doing a diet/excercise program.



3. Acknowledge even the small details of weight loss.



4 Time will be always on your side...



5. Manage your water because water is weight...



6 Hoodia, Hoodia , Hoodia
try pills if you don't want to exercise or change or eating habits



xanidrine (spelling) worked for me i lost about 30 lbs. it makes it so youre not hungry, but still have energy,cause each pill has like 200 mg of caffeine. makes you kinda hyper, drink alot of water with it and it pushes everything out of your system.
Get the total gym! I just start using it about a month ago it is great. And as far as self-discipline you just have to want it. Good luck to you
You can always make up excuses for anything you don't want to do. The only thing you need to do is quit making excuses for yourself and just do it. All the weight loss information available online, on TV and everywhere else doesn't work for you because you make up excuses as to why it doesn't. That's your problem.
I can't help you. I'm the same way. I'm trying to loose weight, but I don't have ANY self-discipline....Sad isn't it?? Just try your best..
Eat veggies, fruits, lean meats %26amp; whole grains. Eat a good breakfast, keep healthy snacks at hand, eat a healthy lunch and a light, early dinner. Drink more water! No sugary drinks (sodas, teas, etc)! Use sugar substitutes or stick to water!



But, you know most of this already don't you. This is more about getting back on track than not knowing what to do. You and I are in very similar places, fitness wise.



I ditched drinking pop about 2 years ago. I ditched most fried foods (mostly french fries %26amp; onion rings) at about the same time. Now I buy smarter foods - whole wheat breads, preserves, and lots of bags of frozen veggies that I stir fry with my boneless, skinless chicken. I also make quick salads with light dressing.



I read labels on food and back off of those things that are 'over the line'.



I drink water or water substitutes (sugar free KoolAid, Propel Fitness Water) and I drink Lite Apple Juice or Orange Juice with pulp. And, 2% milk with my unfrosted cereals. Keep variety in your diet. But, change your diet! Take small steps, remove something bad %26amp; replace it with something good.



Eat smart: A good breakfast, smart snacks (you know what they are), decent lunch that will keep your energy levels, smart snacks and a light, early dinner. Yes, I'm saying this twice for reinforcement! If you need a snack before bed - eat veggies or fruit! Drink Water!



Get back into walking. Park away from doors %26amp; walk the distance - take the stairs - bring sweats %26amp; walk the track at work before going home. If you can't walk after work, get up earlier and walk before work, then shower, then go to work. Set the routine, keep the routine, even if you don't 'feel' like it - go %26amp; walk half the distance, you'll still feel better for it.



You know all this stuff ... you know you do. It's a matter of making the choice to take control of the stress, the schedule %26amp; your life and do what you want with it. Changing your diet will help, light exercise will help more, find those things that you used to do and love and start putting them back into your life. Your the music teacher - you set the tempo, you set the tone, they're your projects - you be the boss!
I found that not eating after a certain time a night helps. Walking is a plus. Drinking alot of water helps too. Make your portions at meal times smaller and try not to eat alot of junk food. Hope this helps! Good Luck!
this is strange.



I am in college and GAIN alot of weight.



whenever I leave college for the summer I LOSE alot.



but my tips are,



take it easy,



think in terms of 6 wks.



work out once a week for two weeks and then add another day every 2 weeks. that way you will gradually build up.



simple walking, jumping rope in your room or my favorite



dancing silly to music is a wonderfull way to melt lbs.
I don't blame you for being mad at yourself, I would be too. Exercise will set in motion a positive feedback loop... force yourself to start; it will increase your energy and make you feel better and fire up the weight loss thing, which if you keep at it will have tremendous benefits over the long term. Or do none of the above and stay miserable, it's your life and you're free to do as you choose.
drink heavily. you won't notice the rest.
Well...you have to really want it. Nothing tastes as good as being healthy and in shape. We can all blame stress but thats not the real reason. You are probably eating to comfort yourself.. I know its hard, been there, done that myself. I really really want to lose weight so I just stopped making excuses for myself and did it..I feel fantastic. I too am alone and hated cooking for myself but once you start it feels great. Good luck to you, wish you the best :)
i take hoodia. here is a link to more info abut it



http://www.greatamericanproducts.com/pag...
Are you and me identical twins? We are going through the EXACT same thing right now. I am in the EXACT same situation.(out of college, new city, stressful job, no time to lose weight) Anyway, I have gained a lot of weight too and am not motivitated AT ALL in trying to lose it, esp. that it's winter! But Ive lost weight before-30 pounds in 3 months-and know I can do it again. This is what I have decided to do.



I am taking things STEP by STEP. Very slowly. I am first cutting out any drink that's not WATER out of my diet. I did this when I last tried to lose weight and ended up losing 10 pounds just by cutting out pop, coffee, iced tea, liquor, lemonade, etc. out of my diet.



Then I am going to work on my diet. Im like you, I dont have the time or energy to cook healthy meals for myself. But Im going to try to eat healthy, just by doing little things, like not getting chips with my sandwich at Subway. Im going to buy healthy snacks to store in my fridge at work, like yogurt and fruits, etc. Im going to try to eat at least one snack a day while Im at work.



As for working out, Im pretty good about this. I go to a local health club and do their classes a few times a week. But I really need to step it up, so Im going to start lifting heavier weights and working out more often and with a higher intensity, and going more often.



Anyway, like I said-Im starting off slow. But after going shopping this weekend and realizing my fat *** cant fit into anything I used to-Im more determined than ever. Plus I want to look hot on New Years.



Anyway, good luck! We can do this!
Hey cool it . I do agree with you about the stress but not with your attitude towards your health.



we all tend to eat more and fast without chewing properly which is the main reason we do put on weight . So to start with why don't you chew your food ,that each morsel at least 30 to 40 times and only then swallow,mind you this info is out of my personnel experience and only eat when you really feel hungry and in small quantities.and drink a lot of water too.This type of eating habit will not only reduce your hunger but also reduce the fat content in your body.You should also participate in the gym activities to stay in good health and maintain a trim body so that the guy's can continue watch you ,which you like I suppose and which is natural for all(both parties)Guys %26amp; Gals.wishing you all the luck in this difficult eating procidure ,make it an habit and you will not regret I promise.
drink a lot of coffee and fidget a lot--tapping toes and feet, drumming hands.



All that little motion adds up.



If you are depressed try riding a bike around the city, you'll burn calories and the exercise will cheer you up...you will also meet people.



but still fidget.
one thing that has been realllly effective for me is simply changing the way i grocery shop. don't keep fatty snacks (ho-ho's, potato chips) in your cupboads...buy almonds, raisins, low-fat popcorn, pretzels, etc. to snack on. by not having it in your cupboard, you can't eat it! also change to skim milk and low-fat meat cuts (but the lean ground beef instead of the fatty juicy stuff, i swear it's as good). for dessert, eat fruit or a cup of tea/hot chocolate or have some sorbet. once your diet changes, you'll notice you feel better and you will most likely start to lose some pounds. this should motivate you to get out of the house more and then once you get back into an exercise routine you'll really see a difference.



The key is to take it one step at a time, then it doesn't klook like a big task that's "not worth it." first, small changes in the diet, then, more physical activity. if you can, get a friend to join a gym with you...it's always more motivating to have someone to talk to or just to push you to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
hp