Saturday, December 5, 2009

Musical instruments donated to a school - IRS form 8283?

In 2007 I donated a total of 7 violins and misc accessories to an elementary school. This was on two separate occasions (in the same year) and I received two acknowledgement letters from the school, both stating their opinion of the total value, which they said was about $1200 or $1300. I have no issue with that, and it's fair and likely as correct as anyone could expect. I plan to use IRS 8283 and none of the individual violins had a value of over $500, so am I correct in assuming I would only use the first page of form 8283? The second page appears to deal strictly with items over $5000 in value and therefore the form requires much more information and an appraisal. I'm just looking to do the right thing up front is all. Thanks in advance.



Musical instruments donated to a school - IRS form 8283?theater



You are correct. Keep the documentation for backup.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
hp