Thursday, December 10, 2009

I'm becoming overly stressed out - about my race?

I'm a black girl, finishing up my second year of university and I am having some serious issues with my race. I'll list some frustrations -



Class Atmosphere:



I'm afraid to speak up in lectures because I am usually the only black person there - my university is predominately filled with white/european peoples and I feel like I have this huge weight on my shoulders when I speak - I'm representing blacks everywhere, in a sense.



Friends:



I want more black friends, but I can hardly find any. But then again - why do I feel the need to have black friends in the first place? Sort of like an inverse racism.



Dating:



I just turned 19, and I've turned down dates with white and asian guys because I'm so frazzled about interracial dating. I don't know what to do with myself. I feel guilty when I'm attracted to men who are not black for some reason because I have this huge bias, I only know about 5 black guys, my dad included. So I don't know what I'm missing out on .. or whatever.



I'm becoming overly stressed out - about my race?opera sheet music



Class:



Speak up! If anyone thinks badly of you or other blacks because of it, they are jerks and to be ignored. They're probably all sitting there wondering why you never say anything.



Friends: You feel the need to have black friends because you are still having identity issues. It's not racism. We needs friends who are different to us, and we need friends who are the same. The former keep us on our toes and give us new things to think about. The latter are the ones we get validation from. Refusing to allow friendships to develop because the person isn't black would be silly. I don't think that's what you mean though.



Dating:



Silly girl! If a good bloke asks you out, go on a date with him! Your Prince Charming might not be black, and that isn't his fault! Tell your prospectives that you feel weird about interracial dating, but don't turn them down because of it. Go to the library and check out some books on inter-racial dating. Perhaps the solutions those people have found will work for you too.



Anyway, black chicks look hot in colours us white chicks can only dream of wearing. And mixed race babies are the cutest (except for my baby!)



I'm becoming overly stressed out - about my race?shows opera theater



You should transfer to a school with more black people. You'd probably be a lot happier.
I dated a blackgirl and she was awesome.. Don't worry about dating people of other races. It is cool. At least to me. About the other stuff.... I have no idea.
Well, do whatever feels comfortable..from my experience..I went to predominantly White schools...had mostly White friends, and have only dated White men...and I ended up marrying one....I'm just not comfortable with other Mexicans...cuz well, that's just me.



Don't think you have to be a certain way to be "truly" Black...



Most people don't even see ur race..its just about who you are..
Class:



u should be proud, don't be afraid to speak, i bet ppl will respect ur opinion, and ur voice will make the class diverse, which is always good



friends:



u can't make more friends if u can't find them sadly, but maybe look in the community



u feel this need b/c u connect better w/ ur race (any1 does, it's logical)



think, are there some jokes that only ur race would understand? are there ppl in ur race that would understand u better than another person from another race? i kno i do! and it's not racist, it's just the way of life



dating:



u can always try interracial dating, but if u don't want to just wait



i bet there are plenty of black guys out there for u :)



good luck!!



%26lt;%26lt;3
my best friend is black and she says the same stuff but shes goregeous and im always jelous. Dont be afraid to speak out just because your race. I think its really cool about black history and all the stuff about them comming out and showing the world and stuff...dont be ashamed cuz of that!!! :D:D good luck gurl!! ;)
My daughter is only 9 and when we first moved to the small town we were living in I found that it was hard for her, she wanted to have blond hair and blue eyes like me and I said why your beautiful the way you are. I have lived here 5 years and now she recognizes yes she is different and she is beautiful as far as who she will date when she's older who knows. Why don't you talk to a counsellor at the university, it must be hard to be the only black person in the class I can feel your pain. Date who you want to date don't worry about guilt or people they don't have any significance. Love has no color.
i think u r the only one that seems 2 feel the way u do



u did not mention that anyone else but ur self is putting u down



n hey u have white boys asking u out that should say alot of the people u r surounded by



mayb what u need is 2 look inside urslef n c what it is that u need so that u can feel confertable wit ur self



by just putting urself down that is were ur r missing out on



so just b u n what ever comes



well it just does



have fun



go out wit one of the white boys



b more active in ur class



u might even surprise ur self



remember u r not the only black person out there



u r only representing ur self
Im Mexican and I am not racist (if thats how you spell it) i believe that we are all just PEOPLE and every single race has someone that DO/DOES something bad ..like for example Latino/Hispanic, African American, Caucasian, Asian, Etc., both steal, are immagrants, kill etc., so you just worry about yourself ...DON'T GET PRESSURED or immitated just to show people how YOUR RACE is ...(its not worth it)



1) YOU ANSWER THAT QUESTION or raise your hand ..show everyone that you dont care about what "they" say. Hopefully its right (the answer ur answering). If not [its ok] THATS WHY YOUR IN SCHOOL



2) Make friends with whoever you like ..or whoever resembles you ..it doesnt matter if they are a different race ..JUST GO FOR A FRIENDSHIP every needs a friend ...its the same for a boy friend



HOPE I HELPED
There is still alot of racial crap out there in the world, it's true, but don't let be such an issue. I am a 44 year old white father of two daughters. I have an 18 year old girl who is fond of Polynesian boys, and I have no problem with that. Other people can still sometimes make it an issue for you, but treat everyone individually. Many people don't care much about race. Hope this helps at least a little.
Don't change your school or your freinds just be who you are.if your attacted another race it's alright. Just because your black and he's not so what. I hope that's not what you base your life around right. So why base your dating on it rirght.
Its a common situation. I think that society in general puts way to much pressure on us all. It wasn't that long ago that segregation was a big part of our world. Its not surprising that you feel uncomfortable. I am sure that if I were the only white person in a class that I would feel uncomfortable.



Interracial dating is still taboo to some people, but I think that you should give it a try. Who knows, you may be missing out on something very special.
This is not a complicated question you are just young. Keep living.



If you know the answer: Answer the question, what does race have to do with that? When you speak you represent you. I got nothing to do with you.



Who cares about the color of your friends. My very best friends are white, what does it matter.



Ahem: Your parents sent you to school to learn, not to date and or make friends. This should be you primary focus. Socializing is second or third. You knew the racial make up of the school when you planned to go there. You could have went to an HBC but between the education you get there will likely be significantly better. The thing about school is this.... It is just a temporary situation 4 or 5 years of your life. Enjoy it have fun and learn something. You are not there to fight for the plight of your race - that's been done already you missed it by 40 years. When you are done with school you can date anyone you choose.... black, white, pink, purple, male female, whatever.
You need to quit living in fear and take your power back! All your actions are predicated on fear such as: "I'm afraid to speak up in lectures because I am usually the only black person there - my university is predominately filled with white/european peoples and I feel like I have this huge weight on my shoulders when I speak - I'm representing blacks everywhere, in a sense." And that's a reason not to speak up? You're representing blacks everywhere? Give me a f*cking break! Its impossible to represent other individuals, for you can only represent yourself when you think about it, because you are the only person you can control. Take that weight off your shoulders because its ridiculous to feel like you're burdened by your race.



As for friends, its definitely understandable to desire friends who share similar history and culture. Try finding some black interest groups or clubs in your town and participate in them with guess what: OTHER BLACK PEOPLE! ;)



Dating:



No need to feel guilty about your attraction to men of other races. If you're attracted to asian and white guys, by all means date them, but you can get more black dates by following the same procedure for making more black friends.
your not just a black girl- you're you. you are what seems to be from your writing a very intelligent, ambitious girl. you probably kick major ***.
just transfer if u can to a school with more black people.. been in the same situation.. and just wasn't happy until i left

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
hp