Thursday, December 10, 2009

Musical Theatre auditon songs?

i am 16, good range, catergorized as an alto. im predominatly an actress and dancer. i would love a song that i can show some emotion in, and not too bubbly. maybe last midnight from into the woods? its a little talky though. please, i need suggestions! :)



Musical Theatre auditon songs?classical music



You say you're an alto, but if you aren't a true alto, you may be able to sing higher. I don't know based on the information you've given. I'm going to recommend songs that are sung by typical alto roles that suit your age, but I'm not going to guarantee how well they'll work for you. I haven't seen you, so you may look much older or younger than sixteen. I'm going to give songs that are within two to three years of sixteen. (I'm going fourteen to eighteen mostly) Research the character a little, and don't sing them if you can't pull them off. Some songs may not work well for some shows, but they'd be great for others.



"Lost and Found" (Mallory from 'City of Angels')



"The Love of My Life" (Meg from 'Brigadoon')



"My Mother's Weddin' Day" (Meg from 'Brigadoon')



"Mister Snow" (Carrie from 'Carousel')



"I Want to Go To Hollywood" (Flaemmchen from 'Grand Hotel')



"Your Daddy's Son" (Sarah from 'Ragtime')



"Schroeder" (Lucy from 'You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown')



I wish I could suggest more. Sadly enough, alto roles are harder to come across. Please don't sing "On My Own" no matter what you do. It is really over-used, and directors get very annoyed by it. Don't sing anything from 'Wicked' either. For more advice, e-mail me at hyperactress23@yahoo.com if you'd like. I'll try to help if I can!



Musical Theatre auditon songs?ms stress opera theater



I have to agree with MusicGal1961. While I offer you no titles, I make the following recommendations: Pick something that shows off your abilities and you enjoy singing. If you insist on picking something "Popular" then you must also accept the risk of having to either perform it EXACTLY the way it was that made it so popular, or you must REALLY make it your own. Try not to pick something so obscure that no one recognizes it. Have the sheet music available for the judges/director. When you perform your number, do NOT do something stupid like try eyeing the judges and seducing them -- it won't work. Be serious about what you are doing and be clear about what it is you want. Lastly, being able to hit the notes is fine. But make sure you also have good diction.
what show are you auditioning for? maybe somthing from wicked would be good.
turn back o man from godspell is one of my favorites.



i have a big range and i can sing like a tenor too...one of my choir directors tried to get me to sing it once. didn't go over too well...but turn back goes down to a low D at one point, but you barely need to touch that note. most of it is below middle C. break a leg!!
Try "McCavity: The Mystery Cat" from Cats. That's pretty low range, and fun, too.
Are you really and alto or does your choir teacher/director have you sing the part because you can hear the harmony and stay singing in tune?



I have only met one true alto in my life.



Here are some really good song for the voice in the lower range...As Long As He Needs Me (Oliver!)



Like It Was (Merrily We Roll Along) Sondheim



Act Two Opening (Merrily We Roll Along) Sondheim



On My Own (Les Miserables)



Anyone Can Whistle (Anyone Can Whistle) Sondheim



With Every Breath I Take (City of Angels)



I Don't Know How To Love Him (Jesus Christ Superstar)



If I Can't Have You (Saturday Night Fever)



My New Philosophy (You're A Good Man Charlie Brown (Revival!))



Play With Your Food (Honk!)



In LA (Fame)



Once You Lose Your Heart (Me And My Girl)



Someone Like You (Jekyll and Hyde)



My personal fav is Someone Like you from Jekyll and Hyde.



Sing on Sister!
Try "Stanger to the Rain" from Children of Eden. It is a very emotional song. You can really get into it. In the song she is getting ready to die and let the love of her life live. It is a beautiful song but not as known as some of the others so you probably wont get to the audition and do the some song as someone else.
"I couldn't be happier"- wicked (Glinda)



"Happily Ever After"- once Upon a mattress (Winnifred)



"I'm not that girl"- wicked (Elphaba)



"On my own"-Les Miserables (Eponine)



"Is This Home"- Beauty and the Beast (Belle)



These are all emotional songs, from great shows, in a good strong area for alto's. I am an alto/soprano, who sings 10 times better in my belt range, and these songs are all really good for my range of about F below middle C to the D (or a little higher if warmed up really well ) an octive Above middle C.
Personally I think "Someone Like You" is hard for an audition because the ending is where the emotion really kicks in and so often you just don't get there.



I am a "true" alto (as in I can sing trouser roles in Opera) but I have had luck developing my upper range. Some of my favorites are:



"Storybook" from The Scarlet Pimpernel



"Send In the Clowns" from A Little Night Music



"I'm Not That Girl" from Wicked (if you can sing the low notes and ONLY if you can sing the low notes, please)



"Stranger to the Rain" from Children of Eden



"Now That I've Seen Her" from Miss Saigon



"When I Look at You" from the Scarlet Pimpernel



If you don't want bubbly DO NOT do "Popular" because it is very bubbly. The composer has described it as "empty calories." While it's very fun it's not big on depth or emotion.



I think that doing any song from any show is fine, as long as you make it your own. Trying to be the stars of the show has never worked for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
hp